Friday, March 7, 2008

week 3 cont'd

How Cool! I really appreciated receiving a comment on my last post!
Just wonder how the time stamp on the postings works ...
I read the Library of Congress article by Matt Raymond re exposing >3000 non-copyright photos onto the Flickr site to get public tags and comments. A lateral and inclusive approach to archiving material, to open up the collection and interact with the global community; an ingenious and simple idea made possible by clever technology concepts. Blogger Gary Price from Nat. Lib. Aust. responds that the Lib. of Congress has been beaten by Picture Australia project which offers a Flickr section. I got caught up here looking at many amazing shots, from fireworks to the Sydney Opera House...
Am now reading about Creative Commons; I found the tutorial link a bit difficult to get my head around but the Wikipedia definition easier to comprehend. I now get the general idea that the traditional copyright restrictions on creative works are now negotiable, with Creative Commons being one orgnization that facilitates the accessibility and use of creative material. The Fedora Commons link was amazing... when I have a spare 3 hours i'd love to investigate the whole site.
My next 2.0 adventure will be sending photos to Flickr, but that will have to be tomorrow.

No comments: